Wednesday, September 7, 2011

My tiny little house is for sale

Well, our house is officially on the market. The realtor came by last night to have me sign the papers, take measurements, pictures, etc. It's so bittersweet. I bought this house in December of 2007-right before the economy took a plunge. The market was high, prices were high, interest rates were high...but I felt like that was the next-right-step to take. If only I had waited even 3 more months! I paid way too much for not very much house. And since I was laid off in July and even though I got a new job, I still don't make enough to make a mortgage payment. So through a lot of sadness and tears, this house will be sold in a shortsale. Someone already came to look at it today! I guess that is good. Since I might be moving soon, I thought I should show you some pictures of my little house before it isn't mine anymore.Here is the front. This really is the nicest house on our street. The rocks on thse side of the garage as well as the landscaping give it really nice curb appeal.
The view of the living room. This is where my husband proposed to me. Makes me sad to think I won't be living here very soon.
This is the view into the dining room. You can see the little sewing desk that my husband refinished for me-it is where I do all my blogging and a lot of crafting. We custom painted the whole house and I absolutely love the colors!
My sweet little kitchen. We just painted the cupboards white this winter. I was in the process of getting rid of my coffee decorations and changing over to a shabby chic tea theme. This is where I cook and bake and do so many things I love.
Another view of the kitchen. That clock on the little wall was a steal for 50 cents at a garage sale. This is the perfect little spot for reading!
Here is our party patio. We never got the chance to finish it. My plants and flowers are finally starting to really bloom and now I won't be able to see them grow anymore. We never got to have that party we wanted to have out here.
The view of our attached patio that houses our hot tub. That is coming with us!
And our tiny little master bedroom. So tiny that only a double bed will fit. And the summer's here get so warm, you can barely sleep with a little thin blanket on you. I have never had a matching bedroom set with matching linens to go on it. Maybe someday that will change. Many sweet dreams have been dreamt in this tiny little bedroom.
I have cried many tears over this house. Somedays I hated how small it was but then I would see the coziness of it and love it once more. If only there was a way to have the tiny little house have a tiny little payment to match, we could stay...but life doesn't work that way. I know someday I will have the house of my dreams, but that may take a long time to happen. Hopefully something will go our way very soon. I really wanted to be able to say that I made it through this recession without having to sacrifice my credit, my pride or my well being. Unfortunately, I have no control over this and I didn't make it through. I am sad. I am sick. I am heartbroken. I hope no one thinks that I am taking the easy way out because I can tell you that this is the hardest thing I have ever had to do in my life.

17 comments:

Sunray Gardens said...

I am so sorry. It just makes me sick to my stomach to see this keep happening over and over again.
Cher Sunray Gardens

Meadowlark said...

I'm sad that you're hurting. I'm mad that there are entities out that there scream "you should pay your bills and honor your commitments" as they sell off investments that measure up, without any compunction at all. There are forces that got us into this mess, and they will benefit on the backs of the rest of us. :(

In the scheme of things - it's only a place. Better to lose it to a short sale than a fire or flood or earthquake. (that didn't help, but the thought was good)

Unknown said...

Your house is gorgeous!!! I love the delicate tones and shades! :)

Hugs,

NanaDiana said...

Trisha-I am a new follower of your blog but wanted to comment. That happened to us about 30 years ago. We bought our first real house in an UP market (overpaid) and then interest rates went sky high and nothing was selling. We could not afford to keep the house and my husband accepted a job out of state. We put it on the market and at the last possible moment we got an offer. We had to borrow money to pay closing costs and "points" so that the buyer could buy their mortgage down.

When we moved the interest rate thing was still going on. That meant that there were houses to buy if you had money. Well, we had NO money but we had jobs so we rented a house with an option to buy...with closing to be 2 years after we moved in. Part of our rent went towards the down payment. 2 years later we closed on schedule and when we sold that house 2 years later we made enough for the down payment on the next one.

Have faith- What is going to happen is what is supposed to happen-even though it seems like the sorriest thing in the world right now. I shed a lot of tears those first few months. You will too...but it helps you to get through it.

You did this once and you can do it again-You did a great job and it shows...someone will love it. Hugs- Diana

June said...

I know this is hard Trish, and I don't want to sound trite when I say, "when a door closes and window always opens", but since I have lived many more years, I know it's true. You will have to give yourself time to mourn the loss of your lovely little home, but I promise that there is something even better waiting for you down the road. It may not be tomorrow, but it will come. I promise!
One of my daughters just had to short sale their house too, and I know things will work out for them as well.
love from here...

Cindy Adkins said...

Oh Trish, Your house is so beautiful! and I am so sorry that you have to sell it...I know that God must have a special plan for your life, my friend and I will pray for you and your husband.
XO
Cindy

Red Rose Alley said...

I know exactly how you feel, my friend. I just sold the house of my dreams to move to Southern Cal. to be closer to the kids. It was a very large house filled with so many memories, and now we would like to downsize to something smaller like the one you are living in now. You never know what lies ahead. There may be something wonderful coming your way. Just know that God is looking after his children, and I am sending love your way.
~Sheri at Red Rose Alley

Carmella said...

My heart is so sad for you right now...but I am a firm believer that everything happens for a reason and God just has something even better in store for you....I just know it! Keep your chin up and know that home is where ever you and your hubby are together...I'll be saying a prayer for you tonight.

Tara said...

Trish,you're such talented gal that no matter where you live, you will make it wonderful for you and Cody..

Unknown said...

I'm sorry about your house, it is a sweet home but you will have another one day and will love it that much more. After all it is "just a house, not a person or loved one" treasure come and go but friends and loved ones last a lifetime, and when gone remain in out hearts. Your next home will be that much sweeter. Hugs Marilou

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

Aw, Trisha, I'm so sorry to hear about this....it has happened to so many people. I know it must make you feel very sad, but I know that good things and new adventures are waiting for you in life! You will carry the memories with you. I am sending prayers for peace and comfort XO.

GardenOfDaisies said...

I am so sorry you are having to say goodbye to your cute little house. But keep your chin up. Things will get better.

Ofelia Bertrand said...

Like what Shakespeare said, “Parting is such a sweet sorrow.” Selling your property can be quite hard and bittersweet because of the memories that you will leave behind. But you can think of it this way – you can start anew in a new place and build some more good memories to remember by. And you can make the new house as adorable as what you’ve done with your previous residence!

Unknown said...

There's a saying by Hermann Hesse that "some of us think holding on makes us strong; but sometimes it is letting go." I must say, you are one brave gal because you faced reality. Letting go of your home isn't the end – it is only a beginning of more memories that you'll cherish. Good luck and be proud! :)

Regards,
Kristopher

rocketmarketingpro2019 said...

Really Helpful post. West Walker Steel is a leader in selling steel and buying steel! We've been in the secondary steel industry for a combined 250 years, making us a leading steel broker across the US. Get more information please visit here West Walker Steel

rocketmarketingpro2019 said...

I've read your blog. Wrote a lot of beautiful. Ours have a website for Home sell, please visit for details https://www.webuycharlottenc.com/sell-my-house-fast-in-charlotte-nc/

rocketmarketingpro2019 said...

I've read your blog. Wrote a lot of beautiful. Ours have a website for Home sell, please visit for details We buy houses Charlotte