Sunday, January 13, 2013

Valentine Corner

Taking down the Christmas decorations, especially the tree, always makes me a little sad.  Suddenly the house looks so plain and boring even though it is just back to normal.  The little corner where we had our Christmas tree was especially sad and lonely looking, so I decided to put one of my old, chippy doors there to liven it up a bit.  Someone that my mom works with wanted to buy it from me since I have 2, but I said no thanks and I am so glad I did!  Now it serves as the perfect place to decorate so the house feels festive once again.  Since Valentine's day is only a month away, I already started decorating for the holiday of love!
 I had a snow day on Thursday so I took advantage of the free day home from work.  I made this rose topiary using red crepe paper, a Styrofoam ball, a wooden dowel, a cherub planter, paint, moss and ribbon.  There are plenty of tutorials all over that show you how to make the roses out of the crepe paper.  Like a real rose, none of them are exactly the same.  It took a little time, but I love the way it turned out and it looks fantastic in front of my shabby old door.
 Next up is this playing card bunting.  I have some vintage playing cards that I use for crafting and I just happened to have 4 of the heart cards to use for Valentine's Day.  They are strung on red ribbon and have red beads and roses tied in between each card.  It is a fun little project!
 I made this pink wooden heart a few years ago.  I love the pink sheet music scrapbook paper that is on it.  The wood LOVE has been glittered in red.  The old door knob is so perfect it to hang both of these from!
 Whenever Cody sends me a text or writes me a note, he always ends it with XOXO, so this heart garland reminds me of him.  It is hanging on the side of a vintage apple crate that I turned upside down.  This year I am really loving red and I think it stands out so brilliantly against my chippy white door!
This red foil heart wreath was purchased just like it is.  I thought about altering it a bit, but I like the simplicity of it just like it is.  
 Here is a neat view of all the red I have going on for Valentine's Day.  It all goes together so well and makes this little corner of our living room look so festive!  Since I don't have a mantel to decorate, I think this door will work just fine to decorate for every holiday and season.  I may have to find somewhere else to put our Christmas tree next year!
 Thank you to everyone who left such kind words for Baby Travis and his grieving family.  It means so much to me and to them!

Here is a little early Valentine's Day gift for you:  use this code at Kohls.com to receive 10% off your purchase.  This can also be used with other discounts...happy shopping!
TENFORBLOG

Linking up with:


32 comments:

Shabby Brocante, Karen said...

These decorations are so sweet. I love the banners with the red heart cards and sheet music!! That topiary is so pretty!
Karen

Mari said...

How lovely are your valentine decorations, I especially love your topiery,
I also get sad when it's time to put my tree away....

Smiles~
Mari

Art and Sand said...

Oh, I want to play in my craft room and create some Valentine decor. I love them all, but the one I might do a take off on is the playing card garland - so cute!

NanaDiana said...

That looks really cute, Trisha. I love the soft shabby look to it- xo Diana

Unknown said...

Looks like cupid visited your home. Love it all...I suppose my Valentine's decorations will come out this week also. I have been doing lot so Heart Crafting...but most has gone to my booth to sale or to gal pals...glad to see that life is going well for you! Tiffany

Tara said...

Trisha, you would have to be one of the most clever and creative people out there..xx

Amy Kinser said...

I love all of your banners. How fun and creative. Such pretty Valentine decor.

Blessings to you,Amy

Penny @ Penny's Vintage Home said...

Your vintage door makes such a cute place to display all your Valentine decorations....very sweet vignette! Have a great week...hugs, Penny

Unknown said...

Oh wow! Your Valentine corner is so lovely. I love the old door and your other items look so good against it! I'm a new follower. Come over and have a look at my Valentine decor when you have a minute. I've used an old door too. Have a fabulous week!

mariondee-designs said...

Hi Trisha, how lovely does it all look and so pretty against the chippy door. I love the little topiary and the adorable xoxo sign! thanks so much for visiting my blog too! take care, Maryann

Lisa @ Fern Creek Cottage said...

It all looks so pretty and festive! I love the topiary!!

Unknown said...

Looks so cute!!!! Thanks for linkin up at my party!!! Thnks Deb Vintage On A Dime

Donna said...

Your Valentine's Day decor is so romantic and pretty, Trisha! I am in love with your crepe paper roses! I've got some crepe paper, I just may have to give it a try! And of course I adore your vintage sheet music hearts too. Your chippy door makes the perfect backdrop!

Unknown said...

love the decorations here!!! The colours are lovely! :)

Hugs,

craftyles said...

I love the heart playing card garland. Such a cute idea. Your Valentines vignette is wonderful!

Ana Love Craft said...

Too lovely projects, love them all!!!
Have a great week!
Hugs from Portugal,

Ana Love Craft
www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

Diann said...

All of your Valentine decorations are so pretty. I just got the things to make a topiary as well. Yours is just gorgeous!

Debra at HOMESPUN: http://www.thehomespun.com said...

This is just lovely! :)

chateau chic said...

Love your white chippy door. Your sweet valentine decorations look perfect on it. Love the vintage card bunting.
Mary Alice

Doni said...

How sweet! I adore that door!!! I think you made a good decision to not sell it. And the reds really pop against that white. Great job on all your projects too! I love the red roses topiary, and those playing cards make a perfect bunting! Thanks so much joining me for my party,
Blessings
Doni

Candy said...

I love your Valentine decorations, especially the card banner.
Im now following you from PICKINandPAINTIN.blogspot.com. Please come visit me there.

Unknown said...

Wonderful Valentines Day display! I especially like the playing card bunting :-)

Cyndee@Restyled-Junk said...

Oh My Gosh! I want that door! Lovely!

Tammy said...

Love that chippy door! Good call to say no to that sale :) Everything looks great against that door! Thank you for sharing at Rustic Restorations Weekend!

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Trisha, I love that chippy door. So glad that you didn't part with it. Perfect backdrop for a Valentines vignette. Your topiary is so cute and I love the card garland! Thanks for sharing with Share Your Cup.
Hugs,
Jann

Red Rose Alley said...

Trisha,
Your red roses are just beautiful, and the Valentine's day decor is pretty and fun. I love the sheet music. Valentine's Day is my second favorite holiday, and I enjoyed seeing all your goodies.
~Sheri at Red Rose Alley

Kathryn Ferguson Griffin said...

Your decor is so dreamy! You will be one of the features at Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. Hope to see you at the bash again on Monday. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

Stan and Jody Gabara said...

I love the red sheet music on the heart and the 4 heart playing cards, so cute! Thanks for sharing this creative Valentine's post at Simple & Sweet Fridays.


Jody

Anonymous said...

Beautiful Valentine's Day display. Every piece so creative. I can't wait to check out the rest of your blog. Patti@OldThingsNew

The Charm of Home said...

Love that card bunting! Thank you for joining Home Sweet Home!
Sherry

Ivy and Elephants said...

Love the Valentine's décor! Thanks so much for sharing with us at Ivy and Elephants, you were featured this week! Feel free to grab a featured button. We love having you!
Hugs,
Patti

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Hi Trisha,
I am featuring you today on my 'Showing a Little Love' challenge post.
hugs,
Jann