Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Homemade Sugar Scrub for Mother's Day Gifts

I have seen this "recipe" on Pinterest for sugar scrub and have been wanting to try it.  Mother's Day was the perfect occasion to make up a batch and gift it to my mom and mother-in-law.  Of course I had to make them look extra pretty!
I bought some baby food that was on sale just for the jars.  Don't worry, I made some ice cream treats for my dogs with the baby food.  Any little jar will do, just make sure it is washed out well and dried.

Fill your jar 3/4 of the way with white granulated sugar.  You might need more later, but that is a good starting point. 
I love this Dawn dish soap.  Not only does it smell amazing but it has Olay Hand Renewing moisturizers so it is good for your skin too.  And it's pink! 
Fill the jar the rest of the way up with the soap.  Then stir away until it is nice and blended.  You might need to add more sugar at this point if it is too runny. 
It will probably separate but a little shake or mixing will do.  You could even include a little spoon to mix it as well as getting it out of the jar.  After I took off the labels, it was sticky so Goo Gone to the rescue! 
I painted the lids in my favorite aqua color and added a little rose sticker to the top.  I love it when things are this cute! 
I created a label and used packing tape to adhere it to the jar.  This way if water gets on it, it won't mess up the label.  A little bit of vintage seam binding tied around the top and you have one adorable Mother's Day gift.  I will probably add some lotion and lip balm and make a little spa package for the mom's! 
And I just had to share this adorable card I made for a wedding shower gift.  I drew the vintage camper in Illustrator, printed it out on cardstock and taped it to a card.  I then punched out little hearts in different colors and glued them onto the card.  I hand wrote "gettin' hitched" and signed the inside.  I love this sweet card and can't wait to make more things using it. 

Linking Up With:

15 comments:

LV said...

Wish I had part of your talent. Great ideas and very useful.

Mary@mydogsmygardenandmary said...

What great ideas. Your mother and MIL will love that gift.

I am going to have to try it for my friends that are mothers.

Happy Mothers Day to you.

Mary

Stacey said...

This is so cute and a sweet gift for gardening season! I always wish for a color printer when I see labels like yours.

Please link this up at Thoughts of Home tomorrow. :)

Julie's Lifestyle said...

Hello Trisha, this looks pretty easy to make and perfect for Mother's Day.
Thanks for sharing this at Cooking and Crafting with J & J.
Enjoy the week.
Julie xo

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Such pretty and useful gifts, Trisha! I love your sweet little jars. I'm sure they will be much appreciated. Thank you for sharing and Happy May!

Blessings,
Sandi

Jennifer said...

How incredibly cute! I love the idea of reusing the jars too. What a pretty little gift! Thanks for linking it up to Dishing It! & Digging it!

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...

What a great idea and so thrifty too! Love the way you decorated the jars. Thanks for sharing your sugar scrub recipe with Talk of the Town.

Daniela said...

Hi Trisha,
yours is truly a stunning idea, thank you for sharing it !
Your blog is so very lovely, I'm following you with joy.
Sending much love to you

Daniela at - My little old world -

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

I've pinned this to. My friend made some and gifted it to me for Christmas. I loved it! You dressed the jars up darling and how cute is that card? Thanks for sharing with SYC.
hugs,
Jann

Art and Sand said...

What a cute idea!

Thanks for sharing with SYC.

Anonymous said...

Great gift idea! And the jar is so cute! I bet the sugar scrub smells amazing! Thanks for much for visiting the Submarine Sunday Link Party!!

Stacey said...

Woo hoo! Happy Thoughts of Home. Thank you for sharing. :)

Unknown said...

What a neat idea!

I would love for you to share this with my Recipes, Crafts, Tips and Tricks Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/pluckyrecipescraftstips/

Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

The Charm of Home said...

Great gift idea! Thanks for joining Home Sweet Home!

Donna said...

What a fun idea to make the sugar scrub, Trisha! I just love making gifts that people can actually use. Love the aqua lids and the labels you made! Super cute card, too!