Sunday, October 17, 2010

Ten years of sisterhood

Before I ever went to college, I swore that I would never be in a sorority! I just wasn't that kind of a girl. All the movies that portrayed sorority girls made me think they were all petty, snobby, rich girls and that was not me. Boy did I do a complete turn around once I got to college! I went to a small, private liberal arts college in Idaho. When I went there, it was Albertson College of Idaho, it is now called The College of Idaho. I absolutely loved my college experience. The 4 years I spent there were probably 4 of the best years of my life. One of the reasons I loved it so much was my sorority-Kappa Alpha Theta. Now my college didn't have a Greek Row and we didn't have a house. What we had was an amazing bond of sisterhood! This October was the 10 year anniversary of our chapter, so of course, I had to plan a reunion! After sending out around 150 invitations for the weekends events, it was time to bring everyone together to celebrate the accomplishments of our chapter.
We had a formal dinner on Friday night where sisters got to join together to relive old memories and make new ones. There was a speech given by the first president and the current president to show how much things have changed in just 10 years. When the first president was a freshman in college, this years freshman were only 6! Talk about feeling old!
It was a wonderful night where old friends were reunited and new friendships were formed.
The bond of sisters is something that can never be broken. People move away and move on but the bonds of sisterhood that were taken many years ago always remain strong.
Some of the very first members of the Eta Eta Chapter of Kappa Alpha Theta. We are the old ladies now!
This is my pledge class and some of my very best friends. Whether we talk to each other once a week or once every few years, we are still sisters and still share a very special bond.
The reunion was a huge success! I know that in no time at all, the 20 year reunion will be here and there will be even more sisters there to make new memories with!
***
Never say never-you might stumble upon something that completely changes your life for the better. I know that I am a better person because I was in a sorority. I learned valuable skills in leadership, public speaking and life in general. I served as an officer for 3 years, attended Grand Convention, Leadership Conferences and met people who are absolutley amazing! Blogging really reminds me of my sorority-there is a special bond that only other bloggers understand!







3 comments:

Olivia said...

What fun! Love the darling pinky napkins. I am your newest follower! Stop by and say hi when you get a chance!
Hugs,
Olivia

sandy said...

Great story about your sorority. Sounds like your get together was a fun time. Pretty table decor! I'm following you now! Stop by for a" visit "sometime!
sandy : )

elwoods49 said...

Lovely blog! Welcome to pink saturday. Linda