Sunday, September 2, 2018

Thrift Store Lamp Makeover

I have been searching every thrift store and every yard sale I go to for lamps.  I didn't really care what they looked like, I just wanted a matching set for my living room.  While at the Idaho Youth Ranch today, I spotted a matching pair of shiny gold lamps and at $4.99 each, they came home with me for a makeover!
After we bought these lamps, we headed to Walmart to pick out some spray paint.  Rustoleum Turquoise Sky was the winner today.  If I change my mind later, I will just spray them a different color...I just love spray paint! 
I scuffed them up and then cleaned them with glass cleaner before handing them over to my handy hubby to paint.  Since he paints cars for a living, I figured he would do a much better job than I would and I was right.  I am loving the way my lamps turned out! 
I have had these lamp shades for years and never had a use for them.  I tried to spray paint white over them to tone down the black but that didn't work. Although they aren't exactly what I was going for, they will work for now.  
They are perfect on each side of the couch in my living room.  Next up, making new end tables! 
I am kind of looking forward to it getting dark tonight so I can turn off the lights and admire my new lamps in my favorite color. 
It's amazing what some spray paint and a little creativity can do to make your vision come to life.  Don't pass up those horribly ugly gold lamps that you might find in the thrift store.  You can always give them new life with some spray paint like I did! 

Linking up with:


4 comments:

Debra said...

Spray paint can do wonders. The color is so pretty. I can understand why you are loving your new lamps.

Cherryl Ehlenburg said...

They turned out beautiful, and the lamp shades look great! I love upcycling old lamps!

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Spray paint is magical. I love the new color!! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
hugs,
Jann

Katie Mansfield said...

Cute, cute. I love them. Thanks for sharing at Keep In Touch.